Morning thoughts about turning 40:
After clinging to the last bastion of my 30s, I acceded to time’s insistence and turned 40. It’s one of those milestone birthdays, a big round number that leads one to take stock of how one’s life is turning out and what one’s learned up to this point. What did my 30s teach me?
- Learning something new is a youth elixir for the mind.
- That it’s possible to be wickedly intelligent and make horrific decisions.
- This moment is all we truly have, be sure to make the most of it.
- Ask for what you really want, not just what you think you can get.
- Status is spending money you don’t have to impress people you don’t like.
- Love is akin to skydiving, exhilarating but the landing can hurt like hell.
- Kids grow up too quick.
- Expectations are deadly, acceptance healthy.
- The real measure of success is how your child describes you when talking to their friends.
- That today will always be the first day of the rest of your life.